Tuesday 25 October 2011

Moulding

Well, time seems to pass at an extraordinary rate. As I read over my last Blog post I notice how much has happened since (and also the number of misplaced apostrophes, and I as someone who likes to point them out on signs find this disgusting).

Everyone is remarkably tired at the moment. The mechaical movement of spoon-to-mouth at breakfast is becoming slower, eyelids drooping and at least one student falling asleep on the Common Room sofas (and did I see someone nod off briefly in a lecture too?)


Good job half term weekend is on its way. If you can call it that. College closes down from 4pm Thursday to 4pm Monday. No meals or services, free reign to go offsite and visit loved ones. EXCEPT if you happen to have Oxford lectures over that time, as the University don't have a half term, and us poor MThs have a seminar on Friday morning. Woe is us.

Still, we'll have the chance to hop over to the Westcountry at least for a few days. All being well, we're going for dinner with Tristan and Andrew on Friday, brunch with Lizzie, Tom and Sazzle on Saturday morning, Emma, Emily and Tabitha on Saturday afternoon, my family on Sunday and Paul's on Monday. By happy coincidence my Mum's birthday falls on Saturday so it's all worked out rather well.

I went to Cutteslowe on Thursday night and genuinely enjoyed myself. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what I got was a group of vibrant, chatty, interesting young teenagers. We spent the evening playing with clay, hence the title of this post, making our favourite football teams, pop stars etc. and trying to guess what others had made. Yes, the artist N Dubz did come up and, yes, they wowed at my lack of knowledge of popular culture, but as it transpired that they knew not of N Sync I considered it stale mate. Touché, children!

In other news (because, looking back at my previous Blog posts, I simply have to start a paragraph in this way) I've decided to stand for Common Room President. Yes, I know, I know, it's not exactly the role you'd see me in. But I realised that, actually, I quite like organising things. And I'd really like to be instrumental in the way the college is run. And I've spent so much of my life watching other people do these things. So, why not?

Still, the three others going for it are all rather super gentlemen, I'd put some fairly long odds on me winning. Voting is today, by the way. And I'll find out the results tonight. I'd be genuinely astonished if I won, but I'm actually proud of myself for going for it, if that doesn't sound too cheesy.

*Finish, Hannah, finish the post before it really does sound too cheesy!*

No comments:

Post a Comment