Tuesday 13 December 2011

End of Term Review

Well, if abandoning your Blog for over 2 weeks is a crime (and experienced Bloggers say it is) I really ought to blog today. So here I am. Blogging. Hello.

You find me, at this time on a Tuesday afternoon, drinking tea in my pyjamas. Now, I know you're worried that I might miss evening prayer, but guess what? Term's over. The kitchens lie foodless, the Common Room fireplace flameless and the Common Room sofas studentless.

I can't believe I've done a whole term at Cuddesdon. (1/6 of my time here in fact!) When I look back to the 22nd September it doesn't seem that long ago, but it's amazing to think I've only known many of my fellow Ordinands for little more than 2-and-a-half months! And that the routine of 7.30am morning prayer, 8.30am breakfast, 9am lectures, 12.50pm lunch etc. etc. has only been mine for only that long.

If I'm honest, the MTh is still taking some time getting into. I thought I'd relish being a student again, and I do, sort of, but not in the way I used to. Unless I'm romanticising my time as an Undergraduate, which is perfectly possible. I'm reminding myself that reading academic books is hard, that I'm not always interested in the subject and can't always find something to say in seminars. But it's not all like that. We've studied some brilliant things too. African perspectives on Theology was great, and I even rather enjoyed Feminist perspectives on Theology (dives under desk to protect self from rapid fire from fellow MTh chaps.)

Bright Hour last week was a real highlight. It's sort of a variety show, but most of the jokes are on an ecclesiastical theme, you get the idea. I managed to make the second half only, as I had to rush back from Cutteslowe. It was great looking around the room at the familiar faces having a good time together. It's amazing how quickly community forms.

Of course, my real highlight has been the forming of that community. At the beginning of the term I feared that I would remember the names of my 70-or-so fellow ordinands, let alone spouses and children, but somehow that's clicked into place. Well, I'm still working on the children. Quite good at remembering pets' names though!

Tomorrow I'm off to the Bodleian to get down to some serious work on my first proper essay: 'What are the Implications of Doctrines of the Resurrection Body on Personal Identity?' I had to submit it to the MTh panel for approval a few weeks ago, and fortunately it made it through intact, and I'm enjoying reading on such a meaty subject. My formative essay, on Art, received a dubious 'quite good' from my Tutor. I wasn't that pleased with it, so I'm determined I'm going to throw myself into this one. And, hey, by sitting in the Bod, maybe I'll feel like I'm really studying at Oxford. And if I don't, does it matter? Probably not!

1 comment:

  1. I like the title of your second essay. My Year 10s always ask 'will we recognise each other in heaven?', it's a great question. Can you let me know how to answer them? L x

    ReplyDelete