Thursday 19 January 2012

A Turn Up for the Books

Well, there we have it. That was a long couple of months. I hope you'll understand now that I've found Blogging a bit difficult since learning about impending parenthood. Mainly because it's fairly hard to write about anything with any enthusiasm when something else is on your mind.

So, it was Sunday 27th November, the first day of Advent (yup, the significance of that particular day for waiting and expecting hasn't escaped me!) when I felt a little bit peaky and thought I ought to take a pregnancy test. Now I always keep one (only one) test in my wardrobe in case of emergencies and this isn't the first time I've had cause to use it. The control line (that's the bit for telling if the test has worked, for those of you unfamiliar with these things) appeared immediately. The test area remained blank. I assumed it was negative and wandered off for a bit. Coming back I saw a faint line. I began to panic!

As I came into the lounge, Paul said "what have you got there?" "A pregnancy test," said I. "Is it positive?" he asked. "Yes," I said. "Oh," he said. And then we both wondered where to buy another one at 6pm on a Sunday evening. 

Fortunately, the internet came to our aid and announced the pharmacy on Woodstock road to be open late on a Sunday. Within five minutes we were in the car steaming up the ringroad. We bought some very expensive tests which ended up being, yep, positive. The next day I snuck off to the Doctor during Mission and Ministry who confirmed that, yes, three positives are very definitely a positive. And so we went home to contemplate parenthood. 

Since then I have used the following excuses for not drinking alcohol;
"I have given it up for Advent."
"I had a heavy night last night."
"I am on Paracetomal."

I also caved and told quite a lot of people, and I would like to thank, in particular, those I told during the first few weeks who were very supportive and utterly confidential about it. 

Two weeks ago I was sick on a midwife which was a bit sad for her, but deserved as she was trying to take blood. Other than that I've had very little morning sickness which, with 7.30am morning prayer, is a real blessing!

A lot of people have asked how this will affect my future training and ministry. Actually I think it can only be a positive thing. I had a chat to the Principal a couple of weeks ago who was very supportive (this is not the first time this has happened!) Being due on the 5th of August I should have a few weeks off before and after the birth, so its very good timing. Next year Paul will switch to an Open University course so he can look after it while I'm in lectures. And Martyn told me not to underestimate what a positive thing a baby can be for ministry, which I think is sound advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment