Sunday 8 April 2012

He is Risen

WHAT a day!

Well, what I actually mean is what a MORNING. My alarm went off at 3.45am. We both managed to get up and ready in a zombie-ish fashion. The cats seemed very confused to be eating their breakfast at that hour of the morning "what's this - Whiskers? Well we won't say no but it's 4 in the morning don't you know?" (Is what I'd imagine they'd be saying in a very English accent).

Rick rang on our door at 5am and we piled off to St Michael's. Oddly, not a lot of traffic on the road at 5am. Paul's big job of the day was 'liturgical fire starter,' building the bonfire with which to light the paschal candle, which is why we had to be there so early. Given that it was raining, it was rather an impressive furnace. Liturgical bonfires - yet another string in my husband's bow.

The dawn service started at 5.45am. The candles (yep, two Pascal candles, don't ask) were lit from the bonfire and there was a procession into the church with Elaine singing the Exultet. Therein followed five readings from the Old Testament, the Epistle, Gospel, the Proclamation of EASTER (inc bells and party poppers), a sermon (by me), reaffirmation of Baptismal vows and a Eucharist. This took just over 3 hours, but oddly it didn't feel very long.

After having breakfast at church, we set up for the 10am which had an altogether different feel. Lots of families, some of whom (I imagine) aren't regular attendees which is great. Rick and I did the all-age talk, which was chaotic in a good way! Reaffirmed Baptismal vows again. Another Eucharist.

Easter = done.

Having slept for 3 hours this afternoon, I've spent some time looking over my Blog which is now a year old. A huge amount has happened in the last year: BAP, finishing sensible grown-up job, selling sensible grown-up house, moving to Oxford, starting Theological college, and general reassessment of life in light of both impending ordination and impending tiny child.

I've realised today how incredibly important this placement has been for me (ok, technically I have another week to go, but given it's the week after Easter I'm not doing a lot, other than preparing a sermon for Sunday). St Michael's has helped me to reconnect with all that I love about church. It's reaffirmed that liturgy is important for me, and that I am essentially theologically orthodox but socially liberal. But, more importantly, it has submerged me in a deeply-caring church community made up of people of all ages and from all parts of the social spectrum. It's a small community, but people feel a real responsibility for making their church tick. Added to that, a very supportive placement supervisor has made this placement really work. I absolutely love being here, and we've decided to continue to attend St Michael's until my next placement starts in October.

This morning, I preached on Mark's resurrection account and the "terror and amazement" that seized the women fleeing from the tomb. This little scene portrays the awesomeness of the fact of the empty tomb. It establishes this event as the axis of history, an event to which his followers didn't simply say "jolly good, he's alive again" but were stunned into silence. I reflected on how this moment in time colours everything we do as Christians. For me, the reality of the resurrection is an absolute. Without it, Jesus is nothing more than a good bloke who was put to death. The resurrection sits at the centre of Christianity - without it, nothing makes sense.

Alleluia. He is Risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment