Saturday 1 June 2013

Baby Boomers

This morning was Joseph's baptism. It was a very moving service, and the first baptism to be held in the new Edward King chapel. Joseph's Dad, Andrew, spoke beautifully about God's love as being a bit like a boat. Tim, who performed the baptism, linked this image to a baby cradled in arms.

Looking around the chapel, I reflected on how the community has grown in the last 2 years. Specifically, the number of babies we've had since I started. If my memory serves me right, in the time I have been here there have been 10 babies born. And there are plenty more on the way!

Why are so many babies born at Cuddesdon?

On the face of it, it is, for many, not an inconvenient time to have a baby. Many people entering college fit into that demographic of 20 or 30-somethings married in the last few years and ready to start a family, or with one or two young children and wanting more. Spouses have often had to leave employment to move to Cuddesdon, so it can form a natural career break. For female ordinands, training can be tailored around pregnancy a little easier than can the first couple of years of a Curacy.

But is there more to it than that?

I wonder whether living in this sort of community and having babies goes together so well because, when you're going through pregnancy and the first few months of parenthood, you really, really need community. You'll remember me saying that, when Arthur was born, lasagnes would spontaneously turn up on our doorstep every evening. That simply wouldn't happen anywhere else. Arthur's wardrobe also consists of about 80% borrowed clothes and hand-me-downs. Having other babies around me has been important for Arthur's development, and knowing there are other parents of young children around to ask for advice has been, quite literally, a Godsend.

I guess this is why other people go to parent and baby/toddler groups. I just happen to live in one!

Babies surely need community then. But I'm also convinced that community needs babies. There's something important about a community living in the reality of new life coming into the world. And not just the quaint, cute side of it, but the real side of it. My own pregnancy and Arthur's birth and what has happened since were made particularly difficult due to his medical problems, but since being at Cuddesdon I've learnt that no parent has an easy ride, and some people can go through an incredibly hard time in the process of conception, pregnancy, birth and caring for a baby for a number of reasons. Somehow, the extremes of life - suffering and joy - come together in babies, and it seems somehow right that this is a feature of this community.

Looking wider, since I've been at Cuddesdon we've also seen serious illness and more recently, sadly, the death of our dear Bursar, David. And the presence of the Sisters has brought people of an older age to our community. The Holy Hill isn't some University campus where 20-somethings sit exams and philosophise for the sake of it. It's a real, living breathing place which sees every aspect of life. Babies are just one element of that.

Well, there's my tuppance for the day. It's also come to my attention that today is 1st June and so for the first time I can say I'm going to be ordained this month. Now that's a bit terrifying. Still more terrifying, by this time next week I'll have technically left college (although we'll be staying in our flat until Monday 10th!)

And, even more pressingly, Arthur seems to have worked out, as of yesterday, that particular skill of walking his hands forward and stretching one leg out behind him in order to reach a far away object. Which means it's only a matter of days until he figures that by bringing the other leg round too he will be able to achieve the forward propulsion he's been desiring for so many weeks!

Better get some rest now. I'm going to need the energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment