Friday 19 August 2011

Acquaintancing

Roll of new Acquaintances, so far
16 ordinands
10 men, 6 women
3 new, 13 continuing
And we remember the names of 14 of them.

13 spice (yes, actual word, plural of spouse.)
6 men, 7 women
And we remember the names of 9 of them.

At least 18 children
A variety of genders and ages.
At a push I think I could venture the names of 7 of them.

I know this to be the case, because I have started writing it down on a piece of A4 paper with the headings 'ordinand', 'spouse', 'children?', 'home', 'course' and 'notes.'

Yep, we are making acquaintances like there's no tomorrow. The best forum for this is morning prayer, generally because there's only 6 or 7 people every morning and you've got plenty of time to gaze at the people sitting in the pews opposite and try and work out whether you've met them before and, if so, if you remember their names and whether a cheery question such as "so, how are the kids?" is an appropriate opening gambit in post-prayer conversation.

Everyone has been extremely friendly to us. Keen to find out about us, where we've come from, where we're living now and how we're getting on in our new home. It's the feeling of a community and, although I'm only at the stage of tentative small talk at the moment, I've a feeling I'm going to make friends here.

After prayer this morning Kate, who is also a new student, invited me back to hers for a cup of tea. It's the first time I've had an opportunity to sit with someone and have a proper chat. She and her family have been here a week so are very much at the same stage as Paul and I - getting settled into their home and just starting to make connections with the wider community. It's nice to know there are others in the same boat as us.

Talking of morning prayer, in a typically Hannah-esque moment I have volunteered to lead it on Monday. The students take it in turns to lead, but so far it's just been continuing students. I decided to volunteer because I just want to get stuck in. I'll make sure to spend some time writing intercessions and choosing a hymn over the weekend. If I make a mistake I'm sure no-one will mind. I'll let you know how I get on.

Mum and Dad came to visit on Monday and Tuesday. We went to the Bat and Ball on Monday night and the Railway on Tuesday so I am feeling well-fed! And we went to Blenheim Palace on Tuesday which was ever so interesting. A picture of Mr A, Mum and Dad there is attached.

We're off to see Kat and Matt in Reading tonight which I'm really looking forward to. Actually, we've got to be there at 6pm, so I ought to head off!

No comments:

Post a Comment