Sunday 14 August 2011

A Bang on the Head

I am hiding under the desk looking altogether embarassed. Let me explain why.
Paul and I went to a lovely church this morning. Quite large, big congregation, liturgical worship, friendly atmosphere, good hymns. All was going well until I walked back from communion feeling happy and content. I turned left into my pew and smacked my head on some form of wooden pillar decoration. (Stop laughing!) I wasn't knocked out or anything, but it made a very loud clunk and all the people in the pews behind me gasped. Those of you who go to a traditional form of church will know that you're supposed to sit looking very contemplative and reverent when returning from communion. Not walk into things.

So I sat down and tears came to my eyes. Initially because of the shock of the bang I think, but sadly they didn't stop. And for the rest of the service I couldn't stop my watery eyes. I wasn't crying (in the sense of bawling, wailing, sniffling etc.) but I just couldn't stop the tears. Quite what the lovely people of Holy Trinity Headington throught of me I do not know, but I managed to pull off a number of brief conversations (including with the vicar) after the service in a perfectly polite and well-mannered way while wildly dabbing my eyes with tissues.

Oh dear. Well what's brought this on? It certainly wasn't the bang on the head. But neither am I feeling particularly unhappy at the moment. I think it's just being somewhat out-of-sorts, out of routine and in an unfamiliar place. It must play havoc with the subconscious. At least it's only the second most embarassing occurance of me crying in church (many of you will know the first...)

I think I will go back there next week (in disguise of course, I don't want them to think "oh, there's that girl who cries again") and of course I'll watch out for pertruding decor. Sobbing incident aside, I had a very lovely morning there. It's great that we've come across a church that we feel comfortable in so quickly. In term time I will be in placement churches, but Headington will be perfect for the holidays.

Chin up and move on then. We are British! I'm reeeeally excited about tomorrow as Mum and Dad are coming down. If they get here in time we're going for dinner in the Bat and Ball tomorrow night, then on Tuesday we're going to Blenheim Palace. Should be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment