Sunday 13 November 2011

Okay Croquet

The rather contrived title for this post takes as its inspiration my new favourite thing. Croquet. "Hang on a minute!" I hear you cry, "surely very few people other than the Queen and Prince Philip know how to play this game, and surely it requires a flat lawn and fair weather, and surely you've got something better to do?"

Well yes, let me explain.

I do have some things to do (preparing for seminars, placement journalling, general spiritual reading) but nothing with a deadline. I mean, while some courses are happily beavering away on an essay a week, MTh still have many months until we can hand ours in. Added to this, I am weak and easily swayed. So however adament I am that I'm getting down to some serious reading, the golden words "would you like to play croquet?" are all I need.

"But, why croquet?" say you. Well there's very little else to do at Cuddesdon.

Maybe I'm doing myself down, I'm sure I've done some other stuff since my last installment. Well, there was Youth Group on Thursday in which I led the craft activity. We made a poms poms, and some of the young people were quite into it, so I'm pretty pleased. Friday was Guest Night in which me and Mr A and many others pretended to be waiters and seemed to largely pull it off. And today I went to 8am BCP at St Andrews. Paul came along too and rather enjoyed it, which was great. Then we went for a coffee at the hallowed Green Cafe, and played football this afternoon.

So all in all not a bad few days. Weekends never reeeally feel like weekends, but then in the old days we did very little at weekends. And now we do lots. In general, life is good. I'm still bowled over every time I think about how fortunate I am to be here and still can't believe I'll be a deacon in two years (hopefully...!) I'm also amazed and delighted at how much Mr A is loving his course and, as far as I can see, he appears to be doing rather well at it. Hurrah!

It's the first time for years that, at this point in November, I haven't been egging Christmas on. This year, Christmas can come as slowly as it wants. I've too much to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment