Saturday 2 April 2011

Let's get Blogging...

Hello Friends,

I last blogged 2-and-a-half years ago when I wrote an exciting (or not) account of the 162 days leading up to my wedding. It was a riproaring rollercoaster adventure which took for its main plot the issue of buying appropriate bridesmaids' shoes. It's here if you want to see it, but I wouldn't get distracted by it if I were you... http://highburyhan.livejournal.com/

'So why,' I hear you cry, 'are you returning to Blogging now, when your life's masterpiece has clearly already been penned?' Well, I find there's something satisfying about writing down thoughts and feelings during transitional stages of life and this is one of them.

In four-and-a-half weeks time I am to go to Whirlow Grange conference centre in Sheffield to  what is known as a Bishops' Advisory Panel. After almost a year in the process of discerning my vocation with the Diocese of Exeter, it is this final 3-day set of interviews, exercises and presentations which will determine whether or not I am to be a Priest in the Church of England. If I am successful, myself and Mr A will move to Cuddesdon near Oxford for 2 years of training followed by a return to Devon for a Curacy. If I am unsuccessful... well... I guess I'll carry on working at the Council. Either way, I intend to carry on this Blog.

It's big stuff.

So what's been going down with me recently? Well, most at the forefront of my mind is selling the house. It's a slightly rough-round-the-edges ex-Council House which myself and Mr A bought 1-and-a-half-years-ago, thinking we would live here forever. We have slowly been doing it up, every room repainted and refloored by our own fair hands. Now, doing up an entire house might sound fun in theory, but in practice it's flipping hard work. But it's lovely to look back on what we've done and remember how much it's changed. And now it's on the market, has been so for two weeks, no viewings as yet but we have two couples coming round on Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. There's something odd about the idea of strangers coming into the house which you've poured your blood, sweat and tears (yep, literally, all 3) into, and deciding whether they wish to pay their life's savings for it or not. And it's a huge risk - say one of the couples on Monday put in a decent offer and we accept it, then I get turned down at the panel? Still, it's exciting.

Another thing on my mind is work. I'm just coming to the end of a week of annual leave. On my last day of work before leaving I told my boss all about my intentions. With the house being on the market keeping it a secret was getting too much. She was lovely and very supportive, even said she could really see me being a vicar. I feel a bit guilty that I've kept it from her for so long, and hope it won't affect things going forward, especially if I don't get in, because really I like my job and my colleagues. Hummmm we'll see.

Well, I won't keep you too long on this Blog post. Byeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment