Monday 18 April 2011

An Old Friend

Another week has begun.

Today I have been feeling melancholy. In brief, I have been thinking a lot recently about an old schoolfriend. She was one of my closest friends in my younger teenage years, yet no-one else knew what I saw in her (old school friends will now know who I mean!) I continue to maintain she had a very good heart. By year 10 and 11 her life was spiralling into places I did not want to follow, and I last saw her 6 years ago, in a dingy flat behind Asda. She said she was getting her life back on track. Perhaps, because of the phase I am in right now, I am naturally reflecting on my life so far, and I was overcome with a desire to Google her. She now uses a different surname to the one she used at school. What I found I did not like. It feels intrusive to tell you what, suffice to say it consisted of local newspaper reports - and it could hardly have got any worse. I went and sat by the river today and tried to come to terms with what I had learnt. I see people living painful lives at soup kitchen every week, but now that someone I once called my best friend appears to be in a similar place it suddenly seems more real. It doesn't make me doubt my faith, but it puts into perspective the amount of pain and suffering in the world. Those of us who are fortunate enough to live comfortable middle class lives don't glimpse it truly, or very often.

In other news, my presentation is still evolving, the main change being I've switched the painting from 'The Resurrection of Christ' to Caravaggio's 'the Incredulity of St. Thomas' mainly because, with its themes of doubt, exploring and realisation I think it's a more appropriate painting for a BAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment