Saturday 16 April 2011

Practice makes Perfect

This morning a letter dropped on my doorstep. It was stamped 'the Archbishop's Council.' On further investigation it turned out to be a letter giving me further information and directions to my Bishops Advisory Panel. It also contained a short paragraph on each of the 6 advisors who will be in attendance, 3 of whom will interview me. I intend to memorise them thoroughly to give me plenty of conversation openers at meal times!

2-and-a-half weeks away, and I have begun thinking about my presentation. The brief is a 5 minute presentation (leading into a 10 minute or so discussion with the rest of the group) on a topic which interests you which relates to one of the nine criterea (vocation, ministry in the Church of England, spirituality, personality & character, faith, mission & evangelism, relationships, leadership & collaboration and quality of mind.)

The problem is, that's a pretty broad brief! One of the people I met during my interview at Cuddesdon said that, in his opinion, the presentations that work best are the ones where people write about one of their hobbies or interests and relate that to one of the criterea. So I began by writing an entertaining account of my experience as a jogger, and related it to the things that sustain us in our faith - the best bit being when I related my inhaler to the Holy Spirit... (tenuous? Moi?!) It was a bit weak to tell the truth, so I turned my attention to writing a presentation about reading the Bible, and finding characters we identify with. It was ok, but I agree with my husband's response, "it sounds like a sermon."

So idea no. 3 is underway and I'm talking about art. My favourite module at University was 'Theology, Art and Politics,' taught by the great Rev Professor Tim Gorringe, which was pretty much a whistle stop tour through the history of art (in one 4 hour lecture per week) through the eyes of Theology. There's something about paintings that grab me - maybe its the way they reveal themselves to you slowly. I think this would be an interesting thing to share with the BAP. I'm thinking of talking about Pierro Della Francesca's 'the Resurrection of Christ' and discussing the value of visual stimulus in private prayer/public worship with the group. I've started to draft the presentation and, so far, it feels balanced - theological but not too theological, broad but not too broad - so I'm hoping this will be third time lucky as far as ideas go!

In other news, work is ticking along as work does, and we have not yet sold our house (although one offer is on the table, it is a low one!) I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. "This is my favourite piece of paper"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Ellie, good idea. I hadn't thought of doing one on my favourite piece of paper. Sadly I fear I may have thrown it away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Mrs A. Have you read the book 'Sister Wendy on Prayer' by Sister Wendy Beckett? It's such an amazing book and throughout it she uses selected artworks to support what she's saying *plug for Sister Wendy over*

    My thoughts and prayers are with you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Tristan, I'll seek it out. (I like Sister Wendy!!!)

    ReplyDelete